CHICAGO BUS ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
Chicago Bus Accident Attorney
Do I Need a Chicago Bus Accident Attorney?If you’ve been injured in a bus accident in Chicago, you need a bus accident lawyer. More often than not, carriers and transportation companies will offer settlements quickly to the passengers who were involved in a crash. They do this to close the case as soon as possible. The sooner they can close the case, the less damage it does to the company’s reputation and profit margin. While it may be tempting to take the initial settlement they offer, you should always have a lawyer examine it first. Settlements may be in millions of dollars, but this amount isn’t based on what’s “fair” for the victim. It’s based on the lowest possible dollar amount that bus injury victims will accept without a fight. This doesn’t mean it will cover medical bills, lost wages, etc. A bus accident lawyer can examine the settlement, advise you and negotiate with the transportation company to make sure that you get what you deserve.
What Causes Bus Accidents in Chicago, IL?Bus drivers encounter many of the same difficulties as any other driver, as well as some additional issues specific to buses. The following are some of the most prevalent causes of bus accidents.
- Distracted driver: Drivers who are preoccupied with their phones or other electronic gadgets are more likely to be involved in an accident. Bus drivers are more susceptible to passenger distractions than vehicle drivers due to the large number of passengers on board.
- Fatigued driver: Bus drivers, like truck drivers, must adhere to a strict itinerary. This frequently entails working long hours without taking adequate breaks. The claustrophobic environment of a bus can be exhausting for a driver.
- Speeding: Due to strict schedules, vehicles may disregard speed restrictions or road conditions in order to make their planned stops.
- Vehicle maintenance: Poor vehicle maintenance sometimes results in failing parts and bus accidents.
- Insufficient training: Drivers often lack adequate training on how to operate a bus safely. A driving mistake caused by a lack of training or inadequate instruction might result in an accident.
How Common Are Bus Accidents in Chicago?Bus accidents are not too common in Illinois. They have a slightly better record for personal safety than personal vehicles. While bus accidents are rare, when they occur, several passengers are typically injured. According to the most recent bus accident data available from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were 15,000 bus accidents in the United States resulting in injuries, with another 274 bus accidents resulting in deaths.
Common Bus Accident InjuriesBus collisions are uncommon compared to other forms of vehicle collisions. Nonetheless, when they do happen, these incidents result in catastrophic injuries and life-altering injuries. In a bus collision, pedestrians, cyclists, and passengers are all at risk of serious injury. The consequences of a huge intercity bus or a school bus colliding with a pedestrian or bike on the road can be disastrous. Even bus passengers are vulnerable to harm. The following are some of the most prevalent bus accident injuries.
- Head injuries such as traumatic brain injuries or concussions
- Spinal cord injuries such as whiplash
- Broken bones or crushing injuries
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Cuts and lacerations involving blood loss and tissue damage
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Internal injuries such as punctured lungs, liver lacerations, kidney damage, and internal hemorrhaging
- Wrongful death of a loved one
How Much Can You Get from a Bus Accident Settlement?If negligence caused the bus accident, you’ll want to file a lawsuit. The bus crash may cause temporary or permanent damage, and if you’ll need treatment or therapy down the road, you will expect your medical fees to be covered. Just like there can be multiple plaintiffs in bus accident cases, there can also be multiple defendants, meaning there are several parties that are responsible for the crash. Regardless of shared liability, most Chicago bus and transportation companies will immediately start to present resolutions. Bus accident settlements require both parties to agree on the settlement amount. It’s important to note that bus accident settlements also request plaintiffs not to pursue any future claims against the transportation company.
How to File a Claim After a Bus Accident?As with any vehicle accident, it’s important to make sure anyone injured in the accident received prompt medical care. You’ll want to document the scene and take down contact information for everyone who was involved in the bus crash. Gathering witness statements and contact information is also a critical step. Afterwards, the bus accidents lawyers at Curcio Law offices can help you through the legal side of things, so that you can focus your efforts on recovering.
How to Determine Fault in a Chicago Bus AccidentAny of the following could be held responsible after a bus accident in Chicago.
- Bus driver
- Other negligent drivers
- Bus management company
- Bus equipment manufacturers
- Government entities, if a public transportation bus