John R. Gorey
John R. Gorey
John R. Gorey is a Senior Partner with Curcio Law Offices. Throughout his career, John has tried over 60 cases before a jury, settled hundreds of cases prior to trial and assisted in recovering over $100,000,000.00 for injured parties and their families.
After earning an undergraduate degree from the University of Arizona in 1993, John continued his studies at DePaul University College of Law obtaining a law degree in 1996. John first developed a taste for the courtroom while in law school where he was selected for DePaul’s national trial team representing the law school in mock trial competitions throughout the country and winning the John Powers Crowley Award for outstanding trial team member. After obtaining his law degree, he went to work for a large trial firm that represented numerous insurance companies and had a reputation for taking cases to trial. This afforded John a great opportunity to hone his trial skills and also gave him an insiders view to how insurance companies evaluate and prepare injury cases. After several years and numerous jury trials on the defense side, John was recruited by the prominent plaintiff’s personal injury firm Joseph R. Curcio, Ltd. where he was mentored by its legendary founder and immediately began trying and settling major personal injury cases for plaintiffs.
His involvement in some notable cases has resulted in numerous substantial verdicts and settlements including:
- a $5,000,000.00 school injury settlement for a 13 year old boy that drowned while in swimming class at his school
- a $2,000,000 verdict for a 60 year old railroad worker that was injured by a train while working on the railroad tracks
- a $2,600,000 settlement for the family of a 33 year old woman that was killed in a car collision
- a $1,140,793 verdict for a 71 year old man that suffered a fractured hip as a result of an automobile collision
- a verdict of $1,044, 973 for a 63 year old man that suffered a fractured knee from a collision with a CTA bus
- a $1,200,000 premises liability settlement for a 27 year old woman that was killed in a retail carpet store when a rack holding carpet remnants collapsed
- a $3,000,000 judgment for a 7 year old child that was burned due to defective flammable clothing
- a $2,900,000 birth injury settlement for the family of a 34 year old woman that was killed due to the mismanagement of an infection that developed during her pregnancy
- and a $1,986,745 million verdict for the family of a 9 year old special needs child that drowned while at a swimming excursion with a local day camp
John is a member of the American Association for Justice, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Illinois State Bar Association and Chicago Bar Association. He has been a lecturer for bar association educational events and has been a guest on both radio and television programs relating to legal issues in his specialty of plaintiff’s personal injury law. John was elected to the Board of Managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association in 2007 and served on the committee for 3 terms. He was also appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to serve on the Character & Fitness committee which evaluates candidates for admission to the Illinois bar and served on the committee for 3 consecutive terms from 2007 to 2016. Martindale Hubbell, the most established lawyer rating system, has given John an A/V rating, which is recognized as their highest designation for legal ability and experience. AVVO a national online lawyer rating service has rated John with a 10 of 10 rating. He is also recognized by the publication Super Lawyers for his professional accomplishments and has been nominated by his peers in that capacity since 2017. In addition to his professional associations, John is proud to dedicate time and financial support to numerous local and international charities.